Mafia II has 42 accessible vehicles and an additional 12 bonus vehicles. Every vehicle can be driven from the beginning of the game, unlike Mafia, where the player had to be taught how to steal certain vehicles before they are drivable. Even though they all can be driven from the start, some are not unlocked until certain points are reached in the game.
Cars can run out of fuel, suffer body damage, collect dirt and explode. Upgrades and repairs can be purchased at any Charlie's Service & Repair. Car trunks and hoods can be opened and engines can be repaired if they break down. The player can customize many parts of the car to their liking, including engine upgrades, color changes, wheels and tires and personalized license plates. Additional upgrades are added through download of certain DLC's.
Much to the dismay of many fans and despite the speculated hype, motorcycles were not included in the game.
Trucks and VansEdit
- Ascot Bailey S200
- Berkley Kingfisher
- ISW 508
- Shubert Beverly
- Shubert Frigate
- Smith Mainline
- Smith Thunderbolt
- Houston Wasp
- Lassiter Series 75 Hollywood
- Potomac Indian
- Quicksilver Windsor
- Smith Custom 200
- Walker Rocket
Trucks and VansEdit
- Main Article: Downloadable Content
Bonus vehicles are added through five additional DLC vehicle and clothing packs. Each pack contains two exclusive vehicles and two types of clothing to fit each pack. Two additional vehicles are added through download of Mafia II's story DLC's.
- Main Article: Charlie's Service & Repair
Vehicles in Mafia II can be modified with three levels of performance upgrades.
- Basic Tuning increases the overall performance and top speed of the engine. This is the only level available in the 1940's era of the game.
- Sports Tuning decreases the weight of the vehicle and tightens up the suspension, giving the vehicle better handling.
- Super Charge increases the engines speed by adding a supercharger. This level is only available if The Betrayal of Jimmy or Jimmy's Vendetta is installed.
Vehicles in Mafia II can be modified with four different cosmetic upgrades.
- Paint. Vehicles can be painted in single or two-tone, depending on the vehicle. 20 colors are available in the 1940's era and an additional 20 are added in the 1950's.
- Custom paint jobs. Eight different custom paint jobs, from racing stripes and decals to flames are available. These are only accessible if The Betrayal of Jimmy or Jimmy's Vendetta is installed.
- Wheels and tires. Choose from twelve different sets of wheels and tires. Five are available in the 1940's era and an additional seven become available in the 1950's.
- Custom license plates. Change your license plate to suit your personality. Choose up to six characters with numbers 0-9 and letters A-Z.