The Mafia is a criminal organization that forms the basis for the Mafia Series.
The Mafia is an extremely powerful, highly organized, and deadly Italian American criminal society that originated and developed from the Sicilian Mafia. Lacking a formal name, its members usually refer to it as Cosa Nostra, meaning "our thing" or "our work".
The American Mafia emerged in Italian immigrant neighborhoods in New York City and other areas of the East Coast of the United States and several other major metropolitan areas such as New Orleans during the late 19th and early 20th century following waves of Italian immigration.
A Mafia crime family is led by a boss, sometimes called the Don or "Godfather". Below him will be an underboss and a counselor or consigliere. The underboss supervises several caporegimes who in turn control a group of soldatos. A caporegime and his soldiers are referred to as "a crew". By tradition, only men of Italian descent are allowed to become full members (made men), though an associate has no ethnic limits.
Mafia Series Families
- Salieri Crime Family (1921 - Present)
- Morello Crime Family (1921 - 1935)
- Peppone Crime Family (? - 1921)
- Clemente Crime Family (1929 - 1951)
- Falcone Crime Family (1933 - Present)
- Vinci Crime Family (1908 - Present)
- Moretti Crime Family (1913 - 1933)
- Vizzini Crime Family (Sicily, 1800s - Present)
- Gravina Crime Family (? - 1950s, Jimmy DLCs)
- The term Mafia was originally used in Italy by the media and law enforcement to describe criminal groups in Sicily. When Italian immigrants started forming organized crime families in the United States, the American press borrowed the term and it became the predominant name used by law enforcement and the public.
- Giorgi Marcano mentioned Al Capone and how he was indicted for tax evasion, Roman Barbieri was once a Chicago mobster, therefore there is a possibility that the Chicago Outfit exists in the Mafia universe.