|Remington Model 870 Field Gun|
The Betrayal of Jimmy
The Remington Model 870 Field Gun is a U.S.-made pump-action shotgun manufactured by Remington Arms Company, Inc. It is widely used by the public for sport shooting, hunting, and self-defense. It is also commonly used by law enforcement and military organizations worldwide.
The main benefits for this particular weapon is its sheer power, being able to take down a target from long ranges with ease. Its faults are apparent and obvious, being a slow firing weapon it was not designed for fire superiority and was too big and awkward for room to room fighting, making it more of an open air combat weapon.
- Produced: 1951-present
- Cartridge: 12 gauge
- Effective Range: 150 feet (50 meters)
- Feed System: 3- to 8-round internal tube magazine
- Weight: 7.0 pounds (3.2 kilograms) to 8.0 pounds (3.6 kilograms)
This is a weapon which is first available to the player in any gunshop around Empire Bay. It is very powerful at close range, even capable of killing Vito in a single shot on easy at close range. It has a relatively slow rate of fire and reload, but this is more than made up for at close to medium range, given it's large spread, which allows Vito to engage multiple hostiles at once, while still taking very little fire due to the knock-back effect this weapon has on most of them. However, it's recoil is exorbitantly high, and it doesn't reset entirely after each shell.
- There is glitch that occurs after reloading one shell and reload-cancelling,and then reloading again. After that, Vito will reload much faster (confirmed on the X-Box 360 and the PlayStation 3).
- Stephen Coyne uses this weapon in Chapter 8 The Wild Ones during the battle with the greasers.
- The Remington 870 Field Gun wasn't developed until the 1950's, so that makes it anachronistic for the first few levels of the game.
- If the player looks closely, they may notice that a shell ejects before the player or someone else cocks the shotgun.
- After shooting at the Crazy Horse in The Wild Ones, the last gangster will be holding the weapon on top of his shoulders, if the player looks, a shell can be seen floating on top of the stock.
- The bartenders in The Lone Star and The Dragstrip bars use this when the player draws a weapon as does the shop owners in McClusky & Son gun shops.
- The police also use this when the player reaches 4 stars.